When president Obama announced the assassination of Osama bin Laden last night, he said “his demise should be welcomed by all who believe in peace and human dignity.” This came in the context of saying that we are not “at war with Islam” and that Osama “was not a Muslim leader.”
Okay, then, the president is saying that followers of Islam will celebrate the death of Osama right along with all Americans if they “believe in peace and human dignity.”
The corollary to this is obvious: if someone does “welcome” his death, that individual does not “believe in peace and human dignity.”
By the president’s own yardstick, then, we can say that Islam is not in fact a religion of peace.
The government of Saudi Arabia, at last report, has said precisely nothing. Does that make it sound to you like they “welcome” this turn of events?
Here are just some of the reactions from the Muslim world I’ve picked up this morning :
- Here’s man-on-the street Muslim: “God curse you, Obama. Oh Americans … it is still legal for us to cut your necks.” http://ow.ly/4L3xq
- Here’s a Saudi in Riyadh. “It would be a sad thing if he really did die. I love him and in my eyes he is a hero and a jihadist.” http://ow.ly/4L3DJ
- Here’s a Muslim imam from Lebanon on bin Laden: “His martyrdom will give momentum to a large generation of believers and jihadists.” http://ow.ly/4L3MC
- Here’s an Egyptian worker, a Muslim who works on the Suez Canal: “Osama was seeking justice. He was taking revenge on the Americans…his death to me is martyrdom, I see him a martyr.”
- Here’s Hamas: “We condemn the assassination…of an Arab holy warrior. We ask God to offer him mercy.” http://ow.ly/4L3VL
- Here’s another man-on-the-street Muslim: “Osama may be killed but his message of Jihad will never die…his death will be a blessing in disguise.”
- Another man-on-the-street Muslim, speaking to President Obama: “God’s revenge on you, you Roman dog, God’s revenge on you crusaders… this is a tragedy brothers, a tragedy.”
- The former prime minster of Pakistan, Pervez Musharraf: “America coming to our territory and taking action is a violation of our sovereignty…Foreign troops crossing the border into Pakistan will not be liked by the people of Pakistan. US forces should not have crossed over into Pakistan.”
And this is just for starters.
Bottom line: we have to cross governments, imams, Islamic organizations, and man-on-the-street Muslims off the president’s Islamic “peace and human dignity” list. His mythical list grows shorter by the hour.
Islam a “religion of peace?” Not hardly, and the president is making our case without even realizing it.
And by the way, if Islam is such a religion of peace, why is our government instructing Americans, no matter where they happen to be in the entire world, to be on “high alert?”
(Unless otherwise noted, the opinions expressed are the author’s and do not necessarily reflect the views of the American Family Association or American Family Radio.)
Follow me on Twitter: @BryanJFischer, on Facebook at “Focal Point”
The Moral Liberal contributing editor, Bryan Fischer, is Director of Issue Analysis for Government and Public Policy at the American Family Association, and is the host of the daily ‘Focal Point’ radio talk program on AFR Talk, a division of the American Family Association. ‘Focal Point’ airs live from 1-3 pm Central Time, and is also simulcast on the AFA Channel, which can be seen on the Sky Angel network.