JON E. DOUGHERTY, NEWSROOM AMERICA
President Obama’s 2013 budget failed to win a single vote in the House on Wednesday, falling 414-0, though a bipartisan deficit reduction proposal also failed to win support.
In addition to rejecting Obama’s budget, the House also shot down the Bowles-Simpson budget reduction plan 382-38, with just 6 Republicans and 22 Democrats voting for it.
The Washington Times reported that the rejection of Bowles-Simpson marked a bad end to a process that began at Obama’s urging two years ago when he convened former White House Chief of Staff Erskine Bowles, a Democrat, and former Sen. Alan Simpson, a Republican, to head up a deficit reduction committee.
And while their plan has come up in every discussion of the budget since, it’s never been introduced on the House floor.
Until Wednesday, where opponents killed it.
“This doesn’t go big. This doesn’t tackle the problem. This doesn’t do the big things,” said Rep. Paul Ryan, R-Wis., chairman of the House Budget Committee and primary author of a Republican version of the 2013 federal budget, introduced last week.
“You can never get the debt under control if you don’t deal with our health care entitlement programs,” he said.
Republicans offered up Obama’s proposal as a way to get it officially shelved.
“It’s not a charade. It’s not a gimmick — unless what the president sent us is the same,” said freshman Rep. Rep. Mick Mulvaney, of South Carolina, who offered up the president’s budget for debate.
“I would encourage the Democrats to embrace this landmark Democrat document and support it. Personally, I will be voting against it,” he said, according to the Times.
House members also shot down a proposal by the Congressional Black Caucus that would have raised taxes another $4 trillion over Obama’s proposal and spent more on domestic programs.
Copyright @ 2012 Newsroom America.